Summer is coming, and with those warm (okay, who are we kidding – sweltering, HOT) days come the desire to sit back, relax and cool down with iced drinks and cold food that tastes as delicious as it is healthy. Enter the chicken salad – typically drowning in mayo, filling and heavy on the tummy. Well, I’ve got an alternative! This salad is tangy, flavorful, and light. No need to feel over-full, or sluggish afterwords. It’s chock full of veggies, Greek yogurt and chicken breast. This salad is sure to keep you cool and energetic all day.
- 2 chicken breasts, boiled and cut into cubes
- 6 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 cup of baby peeled carrots, chopped
- 1/4 of a yellow onion, chopped
- 1 c. Greek yogurt (plain)
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- 2 tablespoons of pickle relish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- The chicken salad may be served immediately. Or, for best results allow to chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- May be served with whole wheat bread, crackers, or extra veggies.
- If the mixture lacks moisture, you can always add a few spoonfuls of chicken broth.
- You may choose to omit the mayonnaise, but in my experience the little bit of mayo makes a huge difference in texture and mouth-feel.
- The longer it sits, the better the flavors combine. 🙂