Nothing says “comfort food” to me like a delicious, made from scratch, pot roast! My mom always made a mean pot roast and because I like sharing the love I’m passing on the recipe to you 🙂 Guten Appetit!
- Bottom round
- 1 small bag of new potatoes (really any potatoes will do – just make sure to cut large ones into quarters)
- 1 small bag of carrots
- 2 beef cubes
- Garlic salt
- 1 chopped onion
- Dutch oven
- 1 small/fine sieve
Cooking Directions (it all takes place on the stove top)
- Warm some vegetable oil and a pad of butter in the Dutch oven on high heat.
- Add the onion.
- Salt and pepper the bottom round and then brown each side of the meat (still on high heat).
- Pour water half way up the meat. Add 2 beef cubes and sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Bring meat to a boil, and then simmer. Cover and let cook for 1 hour.
- Next, add carrots and potatoes. Cover and simmer for at least 1 ½ – 2 hours.
* Cooking time will depend on the size of your bottom round, so I check my meat after the 1 ½ hours, but may decide to let it simmer for another hour or two if I feel the meat isn’t tender enough (I like when it just falls apart).
- Remove meat and vegetables from the Dutch oven, leaving only the sauce behind.
- Using a fine sieve sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour into sauce, whisking as you sieve.
- Continue to add flour slowly through the sieve until desired thickness.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add meat and vegetables back into gravy.